Friday, March 30, 2012

Is there a simple way to upload databases to SQLServer2005?

I host more than 40 websites on my server, and I am starting a migration from another hosting company where I used SQLServer2000. I have brought all the databases onto my Dev server, which last night I upgraded to SQLServer2005. Now I'm wanting to upload all those databases (which total about 350 tables in 35 databases) to the new server

In the old SQL2000 I just made a DTS package which was a pretty simple task once I'd figured out what to do. I'm guessing the equivalent process is pretty simple too in SQL2005 but I'm stumped as to how I go about it. Uploading databases to the server is a pretty regular thing for me and I'm going to have hosting clients who wont want to spend a heap of dosh on getting the full blown SQLServer2005 just to upload their data to the server.

What's the trick I'm missing? So far I've spent more than 9 hours and haven't been able to upload a single table.

I see that SSIS is the place to look, (i think). but there are no examples for uploading a table from one SQLServer to another, overwriting the data that's there, which is telling me that perhaps SSIS isnt the place I should be looking for how to do this. And in any case it's a pretty laborious process writing that whole project every time I want to upload a new copy of the database. (or conversely download the onsite database to my local dev machine)

Can anyone tell me (or direct me to a resource somewhere) that tells me how I should be doing this common task?

The task I'm trying to work is to upload a database from a dev server to a production server where the database is already created and registered with the web server as a datasource. So I need to create the tables, indexes, dependencies, foreign keys, storedprocs etc on the production server, dropping any existing ones that might already be there, then populating them with the latest data from the dev machine.

In the future I'm going to need to do the reverse, bring the whole shebang down from the production server to the dev machine to be worked on and tested etc then reloaded back to the production machine as modified.

Guess you will have to use the "Transfer Database Task" browse through -

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms141204.aspx - Transfer Database Task
http://www.databasejournal.com/features/mssql/article.php/3587066 - Database Management Tasks

Additionally to transfer only specific SQL Server Objects browse through - http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms142159.aspx - Transfer SQL Server Objects Task

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Loonysan

sql

No comments:

Post a Comment